Re: [avrdude-dev] Re: WinAVR

From: Brian Dean
Subject: Re: [avrdude-dev] Re: WinAVR
Date: Sun, 28 Aug 2005 18:30:52 -0400

Hi Bernard,

On Sun, Aug 28, 2005 at 11:19:08PM +0200, "Bernard Fouch??" wrote:

> I have the opposite point of view: I find v2 quicker. However the
> initial v2 page write function was also writing pages full of 0xFF,
> and v1 was already optimized to skip such pages. The submited patch
> also correct that for v2.

Thanks very much for the patch, Bernard.  I have tested it and it is
now comitted.

Note that I did not see any improvement in programming time, however.
My simple test with a 20K program file using an AVRISP reporting
itself as firmware revision 2.1 takes 55 seconds to program.  If I
recall, this is about 3 times as long as the Version 1 protocol.

It see a note from Erik Walthinsen who originally implemented the
STK500 V2 support saying the same thing:

On Tue, Mar 15, 2005 at 02:28:27AM -0800, Erik Walthinsen wrote:
> From: Erik Walthinsen <address@hidden>
> Subject: [avrdude-dev] stk500v2 snapshot release
>
> [...]
>
> One thing you'll notice is that it's noticably slower than the older
> stk500 v1 protocol, which is kindof annoying.  However, it's solely
> a function of how fast the programmer is responding afaict.  There
> are no processor-intensive operations at all in the avrdude code
> that can cause that.  I'd be tempted to see if tweaking some of the
> avrdude.conf timeout values does anything, without breaking the
> actual programming cycle.

So ... at least I'm not going crazy.

-Brian
--