Re: [avrdude-dev] Reading and writing a calibration byte in an ATTiny12

From: Nick Lott
Subject: Re: [avrdude-dev] Reading and writing a calibration byte in an ATTiny12
Date: Sun, 9 Jul 2006 10:33:53 +0900

don't you also need the -D option to disable auto erase?

On 9/07/2006, at 5:07 AM, James A.R. Koehler wrote:

I've written a script which should work but it doesn't (famous last words). It is below:

/#!/bin/sh/

/# shell script to read the calibration byte in an ATTiny12/
/# and write it to location 0x3ff in the flash memory/

avrdude -p t12 -P /dev/ttyUSB0 -c stk500v2 -U cal:r:cal.tmp:r
/#/
/# then, my C program to read cal.tmp and create an/
/# Intel hex file named cal.hex/
/#/
*.*/get_cal
avrdude -p t12 -P /dev/ttyUSB0 -c stk500v2 -U flash:w:cal.hex
avrdude -p t12 -P /dev/ttyUSB0 -c stk500v2 -U flash:w:PPM_AT12.hex
*exit* 0

The second last line is to program the rest of the flash with the program I want in it: PPM_AT12.hex.

My C program, get_cal, reads the single byte cal.tmp file and writes an Intel hex file to put that byte to location 0x3ff. For this particular ATTiny12, the calibration byte was 0x31 and the hex file produced is show below:

:0103FF0031CC
:00000001FF

This Intel hex file cal.hex, is just two lines long and should just write the calibration byte to a single byte in the Tiny12's flash memory. However, when avrdude executes this instruction, it programs all 1024 bytes of the flash up to and including the 0x31 at location 0x3ff. Should it do this?

avrdude also gives me an error saying that the byte at 0x0201 is incorrect after programming. Just in case I had a faulty ATTiny12, I ran the script file with another ATTiny12 on another board and got the same result. The byte at 0x3ff is, indeed, programmed to 0x31 so it works in that sense.

Any ideas?

   I'd prefer to do this using avrdude in a Linux machine.  I think
I should be able to do this in the 'terminal' mode of avrdude but,
because I'd like to program a number of these processors in one
session, I'd rather do it with a script file.  Is this possible?

Terminal mode is meant for human interaction.

What you need is to capture the output of avrdude when reading the
calibration value, and then use it to subsequently produce a new intel
hex file from it.

To capture it, you can use:

cal=$(avrdude -p ... -c ... -P . -qq -U cal:r:-:r | hexdump -e '/1 "%02x\n"')

This leaves a two-char hex value in the variable "cal". Then you need to produce a new ihex (or S-record) file, as that is the only possible
input that would allow you to specify an offset for where to program
it to.  The ihex format should be reasonably specified, so you could
write a small python or perl script for it.  I'd assume you might
already find modules for that job somewhere in the Internet.