Re: [avrdude-dev] How about changing the "stk500" programmer to default

From: Joerg Wunsch
Subject: Re: [avrdude-dev] How about changing the "stk500" programmer to default
Date: Sun, 3 Sep 2006 21:14:59 +0200

As Jeff wrote:

> I think it's a great idea to do the two phases, although the
> question that immediately came to my mind, is there a way to poll
> the connected device and determine if it is a V1 or V2 and
> automatically use the correct protocol?

Nobody so far implemented that for AVRDUDE (at least, nobody who'd
also have supplied a patch for it).  It's not impossible, but it would
impose an additional startup delay for the programmer type that's not
probed first, as the protocols are vastly different, so you have to
run into a timeout to decide that you might now try the other one.