[avrdude-dev] Compiling on a Mac

From: Phillip Heller
Subject: [avrdude-dev] Compiling on a Mac
Date: Mon, 9 Oct 2006 12:20:48 +0200

Howdy folks,

 I tried the 5.1 release with a fink installed libusb (0.1.4.4) on
Mac OS X 10.4.8.

Compilation went just fine, and my avrisp2 is detected fine with -P
usb.  However, the application seems to freeze there.

So I saw that there was a patch integrated in CVS, which adds
CoreFoundation and IOKit frameworks to the linker.

Checked out latest CVS, aclocal, automake --add-missing, autoconf, and then:

./configure --libdir=/sw/lib --includedir=/sw/include
make

The .deps directory doesn't exist, and I'm not sure how to generate
those files, so I just copied that directory from my 5.1 release
compilation.  Next, found that it doesn't accurately test for usb:

configure:3533: checking for usb_get_string_simple in -lusb
configure:3563: gcc -o conftest -g -O2   conftest.c -lusb  -lreadline
-lncurses -ltermcap  >&5
ld: can't locate file for: -lusb
configure:3569: $? = 1
configure: failed program was:

Looks like --libdir and --includedir aren't being recognized in configure?

So, I worked around that by adjusting the Makefile manually.

Now I invoke like so:

avrdude: Version 5.1cvs, compiled on Oct  9 2006 at 12:00:47
        Copyright (c) 2000-2005 Brian Dean, http://www.bdmicro.com/

        System wide configuration file is "/usr/local/etc/avrdude.conf"
        User configuration file is "/Users/pheller/.avrduderc"
        User configuration file does not exist or is not a regular
file, skipping

        Using Port            : usb
        Using Programmer      : avrisp2
avrdude: usbdev_open(): Found AVRISP mkII, serno: 0000A0010240

However, this is the last output I receive.  At this point, both
lights are green on my programmer, but nothing more happens.  I cannot
even kill the process.  The only way to terminate is to unplug the
programmer from the USB.

Ideas?

--
--phil