Re: [avrdude-dev] Mega163 problem

From: Joerg Wunsch
Subject: Re: [avrdude-dev] Mega163 problem
Date: Thu, 23 Nov 2006 10:04:47 +0100

As Egbert Jan wrote:

> I'll check 'avrdude.conf' for the oldies by comparing with the XML
> structured data that comes with the AVRstudio4.

Please submit a diff for all your findings.

> Would be nice if avrdude could read those XML files directly! I
> would say they are free as AVRstudio is free. Would be save to check
> with ATMEL though.

Unfortunately, they aren't.  You are only allowed to redistribute them
as part of AVR Studio.  Strictly to the letter of their conditions, I
wouldn't even be allowed to copy them out of an AVR Studio
installation into my FreeBSD system. :-(

Atmel ensured us though that copying information out of the XML files
is OK, to whatever extent.

Also, the XML files do only know that much detail as is required by
AVR Studio and the other Atmel tools.  As bit-bang direct ISP
programming is not implemented in any Atmel tool (only inside the
firmware of the STK500/AVRISP/JTAG ICE/Dragon), all the bit-bang
programming information (low-level ISP commands) are missing from the
XML files.  Thus, it's not even possible to generate a full
avrdude.conf[.in] entry out of an XML file. :-(  Otherwise, I'd
probably have written a XSL stylesheet for this already.  You can find
a couple of those in the tools/ subdirectory in the source tree (only
available in the CVS version).  If you want, use them as a boilerplate
to create the missing STK500v2 snippets.  (I always have a hard time
remembering all those XSL details, but in the end, this method turned
out to be the most straightforward one, compared to Perl or Python
scripting.)