RE: [avrdude-dev] avrdude and FT2232

From: Wouter van Gulik
Subject: RE: [avrdude-dev] avrdude and FT2232
Date: Thu, 13 Mar 2008 21:48:43 +0100

> I have a bunch of programmable chips which need to be programmed in
> production. There are a couple of AVR's (mega8) and then a bunch of
> other processors (ARM) and logic (Xilinx, Altera, Lattice) which need to
> be programmed. AVR's use SPI, others JTAG.
>
> As the SPI interface and the JTAG use the same number and type of lines,
> they can be handled with a single programmer, as far as the pin numbers
> are correct.
>
> I have been able to accomplish this with a custom-made parallel port
> programmer and slight tweaking of avrdude (plus some other open source
> programming software). However, parallel port is no more, and I need to
> move into USB.
>
> The problem here is that direct bit-banging on USB is very slow. On the
> other hand, numerous USB dongles (such as Olimex USB-JTAG, Amontec)
> utilize the same chip, FT2232. This chip has the MPSSE engine which
> talks both SPI and JTAG rather fast when configured correctly.
>
> Now my intention is to implement this functionality into avrdude (=
> support for FTDI2232-based MPSSE). However, before doing anything, I
> would like to know I am doing the right thing.
>
> - where should I start? I have the source of avrdude 5.5, and I have a
> general idea of what happens in it. Should I get the newest source from
> the CVS, or is it better to stick to the released one?
>
> - libftdi and d2xx seem to require slightly different handling. Is it
> necessary/desirable to make both? (I am slightly inclined towards D2XX,
> but I do understand the open source point very well.)

My guess is that libftdi is the best thing. It relies on libusb which is
already present. Libftdi could may be distributed along with avrdude.
I do not know about d2xx's requirements or licenses etc

> - has someone done something to this direction already?

Yes some have, take a look at: http://savannah.nongnu.org/patch/?4330
This may be a bit out dated (back to 2005)

> - anything elsi I should be aware of?

Just make sure it runs on Windows and *nix otherwise the chance of
acceptance are probably very low...

Good luck,

Wouter