Re: [avrdude-dev] Re: STK500v2 Programmers (was Hello)

From: Joerg Wunsch
Subject: Re: [avrdude-dev] Re: STK500v2 Programmers (was Hello)
Date: Sun, 23 Mar 2008 22:03:07 +0100

As Mike Perks wrote:

> Although Atmel is no longer using device codes, all AVRDude needs is
> a device code in the conf file for a part that corresponds to the
> signature returned from the device and everything else is derived
> from the rest of the part specification in the conf file.

The issue here is that several vendors of AVR910 firmware started to
use different, diverging and partially clashing device codes.  That's
why I call it a hopeless mess.

> I have submitted a defect to get some minor errors resolved in the
> AVR910 device codes.

I'll make followup comments on both.

> >Could we convince you to upgrade your programmer to some STK500v2
> >firmware?  That would solve that device code mess once and forever.

> My programmer uses a Tiny2313 (actually I have a AT90S2313 as
> well). It looks like STK500v2 programmers need a minimum of 4K flash
> so they will not fit in my current hardware.

Matthias Weißer wrote a bootloader that supports a minimal STK500
protocol, and fits into the boot section of an ATmega8.  I'm not quite
sure, but I think a reasonable subset of STK500v2 might be even
smaller, as it basically doesn't need device tables anymore.  All the
per-device parameters are passed down as part of each respective
command.

But I agree, I didn't attempt to code my own one.  Question would be
why to start with one of the smallest AVRs around though.  After all,
the price of the AVR is minimal compared to the remainder (like PCB
prices etc.) so it should be easy enough to use an ATmega88 instead.
I just looked at a popular German web shop, and they ship the
ATtiny2313 for EUR 1.30, the ATmega48 for EUR 1.45, and the ATmega88
for EUR 2.05.  Unless your PCB is only about EUR 1.00, the difference
won't be really noticable.  The footprint size of the ATmegaX8 is even
smaller than the ATtiny2313 one (using TQFP and SO packages, which are
well enough suitable for hobbyist soldering).

> I'm not sure that upgrading my programmer to some STK500v2 firmware
> would "solve that device code mess once and forever".

Because you wouldn't have to rely on fuzzy device codes anymore.