Re: [avrdude-dev] Re: jtagmkII_close(): bad response to GO command: RSP_

From: Joerg Wunsch
Subject: Re: [avrdude-dev] Re: jtagmkII_close(): bad response to GO command: RSP_ILLEGAL_EMULATOR_MODE
Date: Fri, 20 Nov 2009 23:47:09 +0100

As Shaun Jackman wrote:

> My target is the AT90PWM316, which supports ISP and DebugWire, but
> not JTAG. I believe I'm operating in ISP mode and not DebugWire
> mode.  Shouldn't this command be supported in this configuration?

No, ISP mode doesn't know a "GO" command, because it is not a
debugging mode.  It asserts /RESET all the time anyway, and as soon as
you leave ISP mode, the target is supposed to start, as /RESET is
being deasserted.

In contrast, the debugging modi (JTAG or debugWIRE) can arbitrarily
stop and resume CPU operation; the latter is what CMND_GO is intended
for.

The attempt to send a CMND_GO command even in ISP mode is a benign bug
that slipped in somehow in one of the recent releases.