Re: [avrdude-dev] Reset function for arduino

From: Josef Wolf
Subject: Re: [avrdude-dev] Reset function for arduino
Date: Tue, 24 Aug 2010 21:07:41 +0200

On Tue, Aug 24, 2010 at 08:38:13PM +0200, David A. Mellis wrote:

> All of the Arduino boards we've shipped with auto-reset have used a
> capacitor, not a resistor, to connect RTS/DTR to the microcontroller's reset
> pin, so I'm not sure this is necessary.

Well, I see lots of schematics (e.g. the NG, the Diecimila) with a resistor
instead of a capacitor. And people keep having problems. One of the recent
examples is http://www.arduino.cc/cgi-bin/yabb2/YaBB.pl?num=1280814595
I have purchased such a cable, and indeed, I had similar problems.

> Also, which operating systems have you tested this on?

I tested on opensuse and ubuntu. Same results.

> Do they all allow
> raising and lowering of the line once the serial device is open?

If an OS does not allow this, current code will not work anyway on that OS.