[avrdude-dev] [bug #31779] Add support for addressing usbtinyisp with -P

From: Joerg Wunsch
Subject: [avrdude-dev] [bug #31779] Add support for addressing usbtinyisp with -P option
Date: Tue, 16 Aug 2011 10:30:42 +0000

Update of bug #31779 (project avrdude):

Follow-up Comment #3:

> I'd like to see that patch tuned in a way so the bus/device numbers
> can be given as just "-P usb:0.4"

Well, Windows appears to use bus:device names like

bus-0/\.libusb0-0001--0x03eb-0x2103

Looks too complicated to derive some kind of generic name
from that.

My suggestions:

. Please don't mess with the code in main.c, at least not within a
  patch that is supposed to only affect the usbtiny.  (A more generic
  per-programmer default device scheme would be welcome, but then, as
  a separate patch, please.)

. For consistency, please follow the -P usb convention as used by
  other USB-based programmers.  I.e., plain -P usb (which should be
  the default fot the usbtiny) means "use the first matching device
  found on the USB", and -P usb:<something else> means "use a specific
  device".  For other USB-based programmers <something else> is the
  (trailing part of the) serial number, for the usbtiny, the idea to
  use the (OS-specific) bus/device pair has some merit.

. When (at least) one -v option has been specified, make the code
  print out all candidate devices (i.e. everything where the VID/PID
  matches).  That way, the user can get a list of all candidate
  devices by specifying a guaranteed to be invalid string for
  <something else>; the documentation mentions "-v -P usb:xxx" as an
  example.  The list of candidate devices that is printed then should
  be given in a way so the output can be copy&pasted into the
  commandline.  Examples could look like:

  Linux:

  avrdude: usbdev_open(): Found USBtinyISP, bus:device: 003:001

  FreeBSD (recent USB subsystem):

  avrdude: usbdev_open(): Found USBtinyISP, bus:device: /dev/usb:/dev/ugen1.2

  FreeBSD (old USB subsystem):

  avrdude: usbdev_open(): Found USBtinyISP, bus:device: /dev/usb0:/dev/ugen0

  Windows:

  avrdude: usbdev_open(): Found USBtinyISP, bus:device:
bus-0/\.libusb0-0001--0x03eb-0x2103

  Other systems (like Solaris) would then self-adapt to this as well
  (since the printed strings are exactly those as reported by libusb).

I'm setting the status to "Postponed", because I don't have
the resources to adapt the patch to this right now.
Volunteers welcome!

  <http://savannah.nongnu.org/bugs/?31779>

  Message sent via/by Savannah
  http://savannah.nongnu.org/