[avrdude-dev] [bug #31029] When programming EEPROM, bytes are written at

From: Joerg Wunsch
Subject: [avrdude-dev] [bug #31029] When programming EEPROM, bytes are written at wrong offsets
Date: Tue, 16 Aug 2011 13:31:45 +0000

Update of bug #31029 (project avrdude):

             Assigned to:                    None => joerg_wunsch

Follow-up Comment #2:

I cannot see in which way writing to a wrong location could
be AVRDUDE's fault.  As the Arduino uses a bootloader, it
must be the bootloader itself which writes it to the wrong
location.  It could be argued the last page issued by
AVRDUDE is an incomplete one (only two out of four bytes
are actually written), albeit the STK500v2 protocol is
very vague about whether this is acceptable or not.  As a
matter of fact, the standard STK500 firmware accepts it
without any issues.  I tried programming your hex file into
an ATmega168P sitting in an STK500, and it worked fine.

Actually, the "delay" parameter value in AVRDUDE is too small
(5 vs. 20, as specified in the device XML file), and I'll fix
that soon.  Anyway, worst case this should result in incomplete
or faulty write operations rather than writing data to a wrong
location.

I'm closing it as "Invalid" since I don't see what AVRDUDE
should change in order to make the Arduino bootloader work
correctly.

  <http://savannah.nongnu.org/bugs/?31029>

  Message sent via/by Savannah
  http://savannah.nongnu.org/