[avrdude-dev] [patch #7703] AT89S5x support, stk500 spi frequency bugfix

From: Jan Waclawek
Subject: [avrdude-dev] [patch #7703] AT89S5x support, stk500 spi frequency bugfix, other minor fixes
Date: Mon, 16 Jan 2012 17:25:32 +0000

                 Privacy: Public
             Assigned to: None
        Originator Email:
             Open/Closed: Open
         Discussion Lock: Any

Details:

I apologize for the mess, but this is the result of attempting to add a more
thorough AT89S5x support (including the 'S8253/'Sx051 subgroup (for which the
"sck_polarity" config keyword was added) and accordingly modified STK500
firmware, to be published later); and while working on it, I could not resist
to fix other bugs I came across...

This is a work in progress, so the '51-specific stuff is not polished up to
expectations (including no documentation YET); I am submitting it as it is now
as I have no idea when will I have the opportunity to get back to it.
Incorporating them should make no harm to the "mainstream" though, IMO. Please
note that this patch incorporates https://savannah.nongnu.org/patch/?7538
although with a different, more generic keyword ("reset_polarity" rather than
"is_at89s", as the newer AT89LP family for which I plan to add support later
too, has members with "normal" reset polarity).

On the other hand, items 1, 3 and 4 may be of general interest.

Adding to the mess, I tend to set my editor to strip extra spaces from line
ends and convert tabs to spaces; sorry.

List of changes:

1. sck frequency setting/printout in terminal mode for stk500V2
   - fixed sck frequency reading
   - fixed correct calculation of the frequency (based on AVR068 rather than
AVR061 which would be correct for stk500v1)
   - both sck period and frequency printed out
   - correct xtal frequency for AVRISP used
   - sck frequency can be entered as frequency in Hz/kHz/MHz now

2. 'S5x programming support
   - created a configuration file containing 'S52
   - reset_polarity and sck_polarity (normal/invert) added to part
configuration
     - ** TODO ** add documentation
   - reset pin for bitbanged-style programmers is inverted based on
reset_polarity
   - programming enable in bitbang.c now correctly checks returned value
according to pollindex/pollvalue
   - stk500v2 now issues the correct value for PARAM_RESET_POLARITY
   - for paged memories, _byteblock and block (or any other name) mode added
to stk500v2.c

3. default retry_pulse changed to RESET, as SCK is used for retry_pulse only
in the historical AT90S parts
   - ** todo ** set explicit retry_pulse in conf file for those parts where
this applies

4. attempt to "spi" in terminal mode for stk500 crashed avrdude
   - fixed (hopefully)

Jan Waclawek

File Attachments:

Date: Mon 16 Jan 2012 05:25:31 PM GMT  Name: patch1.zip  Size: 20kB   By: wek