Re: [avrdude-dev] [bug #35590] avrdude make error when programmingATmega

From: Bill O'Neill
Subject: Re: [avrdude-dev] [bug #35590] avrdude make error when programmingATmega8 through USBasp
Date: Mon, 11 Jun 2012 09:39:56 -0400

Hi Jeorge,

I to have been extremely busy, so no problem with the timing of the reply.

When you state harware problems, do you mean the programmer, or the host PC?

I have tried this on several computers and here are the results:

HP Celeron @ 1.8GHz, Windows XP, SP3
USBtinyISP (avrdude5.4 - ok, avrdude 5.1x - ok);
ponyser (avrdude5.4 - ng, avrdude5.1x - ng)

Lenovo Pentium D945 @ 3.6 GHz, Windows XP Pro, SP3
USBtinyISP (avrdude5.4 - ok, avrdude 5.1x - 60% ng, 40% ok);
ponyser (avrdude5.4 - ok, avrdude5.1x - ng)

Asus Pentium E5300 @ 2.6GHz, Windows XP, SP3
USBtinyISP (avrdude5.4 - ok, avrdude 5.1x - ok);
ponyser (avrdude5.4 - ok, avrdude5.1x - ok)

And any faster machines than the E5300 seem ok. BTW the E5300, despite the slower clock is a faster machine than the D945.

I also tried the -vvvv, but the results were unrevealing. No errors displayed until the summary at the end.

So at this point, it seems that it may be partially a CPU speed problem. Something in avrdude5.1x makes this a bit worse. Probably requires a bit more processing power. I have not done much testing under Linux as I have had no complaints from Linux users.

There is something odd about the Pentium D945 though. It is the only one that has problems with the USBtinyISP. Even when it does woek on that machine, avrdude runs a lot slower, even than on the Celeron. At least 40% slower. I am not sure if it is the hardware or the Windows XP professional. It has nothing else on it to conflict, just a fresh install of the XP Pro. Odd.

In any case, we can put this to rest. As you said, not many people use the bit banger programmers any more. Most machines these days do not even come with RS232 ports.

Bill O'Neill

Aztec MCU Prototyping
www.aztecmcu.com