[Axiom-developer] Re: new Makefile.pamphlet problems

From: root
Subject: [Axiom-developer] Re: new Makefile.pamphlet problems
Date: Tue, 19 Nov 2002 06:33:24 -0500

Bill,

Wow, creating a platform file. That's ambitious but I'm happy
to see you do it. Lets see if I can give you a few quick pointers:

1) The top level Makefile now selects the platform based on the
SYS= variable. Thus you need to set a SYS=cygwin in the top level
default. This used to be parsed out of the SPAD variable (taking
the basename of the SPAD variable) but I've forgotten the magic
I used to make basename expand in the Makefile. Thus just setting
SPAD=......./cygwin used to be enough. I'll fix that eventually.

2) the all: stanza (approx line 500 in Makefile.pamphlet) will
notangle out the appropriate platform-specific Makefile. For example,
if SYS=cygwin it will look for a chunk called <<Makefile.cygwin>>
and extract it. Then it will invoke Make on the newly extracted
Makefile.cygwin.

3) <<Makefile.cygwin>> is responsible for setting the top-level
Makefile variables, setting up appropriate directories, setting
proper command defaults (e.g. strip -> echo) etc.

More later. I've got to go to work.
Keep up the good work.