[Axiom-developer] RE: noweb, pamphlets, and TeXmacs

From: Bill Page
Subject: [Axiom-developer] RE: noweb, pamphlets, and TeXmacs
Date: Sun, 24 Nov 2002 14:00:24 -0500

Everyone,

I am glad to see that this is such a "hot topic"!

BTW, I am sorry that some of you (like me) who are
members of multiple lists are likely receive
several copies of this message. It seems sort of
unavoidable for the moment while we are exploring
just how "interdisciplinary" this subject is. Perhaps
some we should absorb this subject back into the Axiom
mailing list since that is where is started. Those
people who are interested will have had a chance
to subscribe if they want to monitor this subject.

Anyway, I spent some time today thinking about alternate
mark-up languages for pamphlets. I suppose what I do
for a living could not help but intrude on my views
in this project... depressing perhaps, considering
that I would like to view this as an ambitious hobby
rather than "work" ... <frown>

Anyway, I do a lot of work with XML and XSL style sheets
these in the context of large scientific bibliographic
databases. Also, I have been reading about some ideas
expressed on the TeXmacs list about XML. A quick look
at the TeXmacs file format shows many very obvious
relationships to XML. In fact it seems that it could
almost be 1-1 except for a slightly different tag
syntax. There is an awful lot of work being done
these days on XML as the prime candidate "next
generation" structured document language. And it
turns out that "structured documents" have many
many uses. They are a kind of half-way point between
data bases record and free form text documents.

XSL (or more properly XSLT) is a structured document
transformation language that is itself in XML format.
The main purpose of XSLT these days is to generate
HTML to be displayed in a web browser. The Microsoft
browser and several others even include the XSLT
processor in the browser itself. And implementations
of XSLT processors exist for almost all server
environments. Besides HTML, other output formats are
possible, e.g. PDF format etc.

So the concept was this (expressed as a question):
How difficult would it be to write an XSLT style
sheet that would perform weave and tangle on an
XML file? I almost sat down to give it an initial
try when I thought about doing a web search on the
subject of "XML"

  http://xmlp.sourceforge.net/

and

see also

  http://www.vivtek.com/litprog.html

Damn the web! It seems that someone somewhere has
always already thought of all the good ideas ...
<grin>.

I really like the idea that the code appears "folded"
into the document, but still part of it. When the folds
are collapsed, the result is just documentation. But
when the folds are expanded, they are visible and
editable just like any other part of the document. So
in that sense I am only talking about a "view" of
the document (with one, several, or all folds collapsed).

I would definitely say that folding should not be
an operation that changes the text, however we it
might be desirable if it (optionally?) affected how
the documented was printed as well as displayed.

This sort of folding is now a common feature of
math packages like Maple and Mathematica. It helps
a lot to be able to read a document in a "top down"
fashion. In this sense the programming code is at
the "bottom" of the document fold structure.

> Another difficulty has to do with TeXmacs' ability
> to let the user define his/her own macros. What
> should be the semantics
> of a macro which is built upon a "fold" tag?
>
> > 5) There are other ideas, not yet exposed, that
> > it would be nice to have supported. I guess I
> > need to talk more about the pamphlet idea in depth.
>
> Well, it would be nice to make up a list of all tags
> (with options and everything) which might be useful
> for pamphlet files. You might also want to take a
> look at some (still very rudimentary) ideas in the
> tmdoc format.

I think that Anthony Coates (see links above) has
already done quite an excellent job of defining a
simple set of tags and attributes. These could
probably be used almost directly as a model for
TeXmacs.

> [...]
> > the system" so that you could document, say, all of
> > the matrix facilities currently available.
> >
> > Second, you compose a set of Pamphlet files "thru
> > the system" so that you could document, say, the
> > integration mechanism from the top level function
> > all the way to the implementation details.
>
> My way of viewing this is the use of one file for
> each atomic functionality of the system. Each such
> file should come with meta-information like the bigger
> classes to which it belongs (linear algebra, topology,
> etc.). Each file may also contain information about
> other relevant related files or how to traverse files
> in a sensible order (cf. tmdoc style). One may then
> implement special functions into TeXmacs for extracting
> the information one needs.
>
> > Thus you can insert and extract Booklets with Axiom
> > making it easier to share knowledge.

> > Huge dream, I realize, but except for the dishes,
> > I see no technical reason why it can't be done.
> >
> > This implies, of course, that Pamphlets can be
> > decomposed into a finer level of detail which is
> > still under development.
>
> Well, it all boils down to inventing suitable mark-up
> tags which reflect the complexity of the problem. So
> please give this matter a thought and come up with
> some more precise proposals. After that, we will have
> a discussion and see how to implement all this in
> TeXmacs.
>
> > Currently noweb needs to expand the chunk definition
> > syntax to handle some more general scheme such as a
> > URL. We need to be able to extract code chunks from
> > other pamphlets so that you can have the following
> > situation:
> >
> > pamphlet A:  (the definition document)
> >     <<foo>>=
> >
> > pamphlet B:  (the using document)
> >     <<pamphlet:/path/A#foo>>
> >
> > It would be useful if this could happen for text
> > blocks also so that generally useful descriptions
> > could be inserted into multiple pamphlets. Since
> > the text blocks currently have no label this becomes
> > problematic. We need to develop text labels so we
> > can follow a uniform scheme. Multiple text blocks
> > containing essentially the same information already
> > exist in the system. This needs to be fixed.

> As I see it now, you have the following ingredients
> for chunk tags:
>
> 1) A "format" which determines the program which
> should be used in order to do extractions. More
> generally, it reflects the purpose of the enclosed
> content (documentation, code, example, etc.).
>
> 2) An "identifier" for specifying how several chunks
> should be grouped together. In fact, it might be
> nice to see this independently from the chunk tags,
> but rather as a variant of labels and references.
> In other words, logical grouping of different parts
> of content may be nice in other circumstances too.
>
> So maybe we should see the chunk tag as the
> combination of two more basic tags: one for
> specifying the purpose, functionality or class of
> a given region of text, and one for grouping

I think you (Joris) may be surprised how close
your ideas are to Anthony's on this!