Re: [Axiom-developer] Re: [Maxima] Re: GCL used commercially?

From: Nicolas Neuss
Subject: Re: [Axiom-developer] Re: [Maxima] Re: GCL used commercially?
Date: 25 Jul 2003 18:03:48 +0200

Mike Dewar <address@hidden> writes:

> That is a very broad and misleading statement.  Many so-called "free"
> licenses, in particular the GPL, require computer users to give up their
> freedom as well.  Of course there are other free licenses, such as the
> BSD-style licenses, which don't do this.
>
> Mike.

I agree with this more or less.  There is an interesting viewpoint that the
GPL makes the *software* free (whereas the BSD licenses would give its
users maximal freedom, even the freedom to "enslave" it).

I heard this first in a message by Linus Torvalds (who knows?)

http://groups.google.com/groups?selm=9h99ei%24v01%241%25cesium.transmeta.com%40ifi.uio.no

Note that this is *not* the FSF's interpretation!

Nicolas.