[Axiom-developer] RE: generalized makefile rules

From: Weiss, Juergen
Subject: [Axiom-developer] RE: generalized makefile rules
Date: Sun, 17 Aug 2003 19:28:00 +0200

Tim,

About 10 years ago I tried to figure out the algebra lattice
myself. I logged the files loaded by each compile and later
on tried to use tsort or something similar. It did not work
out and I gave up (too many circular dependencies). So I
can at least partially appreciate what you have achieved.

I got the impression, that in certain circumstances, the
content of the databases is enough to compile references
to some modules. In most cases the modules have to be
loaded. But I did not figure out, what the difference was.

> I see that you have rewritten interval.as to interval.spad.
> I've rewritten the \author tags on all of the files to indicate
> the actual authors wherever I know the authors. Did you write
> interval.spad.pamphlet?

I actually just changed the syntax of the original .as file.
So I would not call me the author. I have a newer version
of the file (two changes), which I will send you tonight.
With current database files, two function calls, which did
not compile, finally do.

> I also have algebra that has been recently written that I'm
> working on merging.
>
> I'm trying at the moment to rebuild the database but I'm getting
> a value stack overflow in GCL while loading the domains. (Daly's
> law: there is no such thing as a simple job.) Other than that
> problem and a few remaining domains that I need to fix, the whole
> Axiom world builds from scratch. I never thought I'd see the day
> that would happen.

This is strange indeed. I used the most recent cvs files and
compiled under Debian (with the supplied gcl). I think I only
fixed the category vector copying. Have you rebuild interpsys
without any algebra files preloaded or with more recent ones?

> Once I fix the value stack overflow I'll concentrate on getting
> the world imported onto Savannah
>
> Tim
> address@hidden
> address@hidden

Juergen

Juergen Weiss     | Universitaet Mainz, Zentrum fuer Datenverarbeitung,
address@hidden| 55099 Mainz, Tel: +49(6131)39-26361, FAX:
+49(6131)39-26407