Re: [Axiom-developer] RE: Automation & algebra lattice

From: Bill Page
Subject: Re: [Axiom-developer] RE: Automation & algebra lattice
Date: 24 Aug 2003 21:29:45 -0400

Tim,

Well, it turns out that the newest version of VCG is called aiSee.

  http://www.aisee.com/

  address@hidden axiom2]$ aisee --
  aiSee V.2.1  AbsInt Angewandte Informatik GmbH
  Revision: 1.88    Date: 2003/06/23 15:24:52
  Usage:   /usr/local/bin/aisee.bin [options] [filename]
  Enter /usr/local/bin/aisee.bin -h  for help information.

This version seems to no longer be GPL but the binary is still
available at no cost for personal, academic and/or research use.
So I downloaded it to see if the newer version would fair any
better with the Axiom dependency graph.

  address@hidden axiom2]$ aisee -f all.gdl
  Wait....lSegmentation fault

Well, at least it didn't crash Linux this time!

There are lots of options to play with (-f above means use the
fastest layout option), so maybe I will find one that will work.
There is even an "automatic clustering" option. But perhaps
I will eventually be forced to use the more intellegent approach
that you suggest below.

I guess I could start by selecting from the whole dependency list
only those nodes in that are in layer 1 and add the "bootstrap"
nodes without their dependencies. The layer 1 nodes should not
depend on any spad files outside of layer 1 and the bootstrap,
right?

But really I would like to draw the *graph* including it's
cycles, not just the lattice that is implemented in the make
file. Hmmm....

Cheers,
Bill Page.