[Axiom-developer] Re: Debian .deb file

From: Camm Maguire
Subject: [Axiom-developer] Re: Debian .deb file
Date: 04 Sep 2003 12:12:34 -0400

Greetings!

Tim Daly  <address@hidden> writes:

> Camm,
>
> Axiom has a bunch of patches to GCL (documented in Makefile.pamphlet).
> Are any of these addressed in 2.6.1?

I believe all, or equivalent.  In any case, axiom cvs will build
against *externally* installed gcl-2.6.1 with the two axiom patches I
posted.

> Does the GCL CVS contain 2.6.1? I can download it and try a new build.

It does.  But if you want to stay away from CVS head, you can do

cvs co -r Version_2_6_1 -d gcl-2.6.1 gcl

> I'll bite. What does compiler::link do? What does :system-p mean?
> Does this change the packages of the loaded files (which will create
> havoc)?

(compiler::link...) uses the system linker, i.e. ld or gcc -o, to link
the lisp compiled .o files into the main executable, as opposed to
'fasloading' them.  :system-p indicates that the code is to be
considered part of the 'system', which basically means linkable in the
above manner.  The init routine is renamed uniquely from init_code to
init_<filename>, and cmpinclude.h is #included instead of being added
directly to the C source.  This should not affect any package
structure.  All that is really needed is a list of .o files in load
order that go into each ???sys image.

> The .deb package should ONLY contain mnt, NOT obj. The interpsys
> image gets copied into mnt/linux/bin/axiom. This step is not yet
> performed by the makefile but will be shortly. The whole design
> of the Axiom src/int/obj/mnt partition is to ensure that only mnt
> gets shipped. int and obj are pure caches and should never see the
> light of day. Their only purpose is to minimize rebuild times.

OK, will change.

> Funny you should ask about documentation. I'm in the process of
> rewriting the Axiom textbook. There is work to be done but I'll
> release an alpha version as soon as I can.

Great!

> I have a copy of Debian but have not yet installed it.

Of course I highly recommend it!

> Let me know what needs to be fixed.

Typically once this gets accepted we will see a flurry of bug reports
:-).  A good user base is very valuable.

Take care,