[Axiom-developer] Re: conditionally defined functions

From: Ralf HEMMECKE
Subject: [Axiom-developer] Re: conditionally defined functions
Date: Fri, 17 Sep 2004 12:52:42 +0200

Hi Martin,

Suppose you have a category A, taking as parameter a domain P and providing an
operation f: % -> P. Furthermore, you have a category (or a domain, a package)
B, taking as parameter a domain Q. Now you want to achieve the following:

If Q is a domain in A, provide a function g: % -> P, using f.

Let me translate this into some code...

define A(P: Cat1): Category == with {
}

-- Assume B should be a domain.
B(Q: Cat2): Cat3 with {
  if Q has A(???) then {g: % -> ???}
}

To me it seems that in order to state that "Q is a domain in A" one would have to know the parameter of A. Note that A is a function returning a category. The ??? should be something of type Cat1. And I don't see this information somewhere available inside the definition of B.

I guess that is not your point. Can you be more precise here?

Ralf