RE: [Axiom-developer] Re: Mixing up variables: (was Re: conditionallydef

From: Bill Page
Subject: RE: [Axiom-developer] Re: Mixing up variables: (was Re: conditionallydefined functions)
Date: Thu, 23 Sep 2004 22:26:45 -0400

On Thursday, September 23, 2004 6:59 PM Martin Rubey wrote:

> > > I started a discussion of (6) in
> > >
> > > http://page.axiom-developer.org/zope/mathaction/DesignIssues
> >
> > [William Sit wrote:]
> > I am not familiar with using this resource, so I have not
> > posted my reply there.  Please feel free to post this if you
> > like.
>
> I will update the page from time to time. I think that discussing
> all this via mathaction would produce to much noise...

  :(

While I am enjoying reading (and trying to understand) this
exchange between Martin and William, I do think that it would
be useful if some of the examples being discussed were included
in MathAction, linked to the [DesignIssues] page that Martin
created. I don't understand, Martin, when you say that discussing
this via MathAction would "produce too much noise". I think it
would be less "noise". Perhaps the best reason for carrying on
the discussion here by email where a large number of people are
already subscribed is that one can be sure that most people are
actually reading it. If you did this via MathAction - which you
*can* do just as easily as you are doing here, since MathAction
also functions like a mailing list - the only people who would
receive emails are those who specifically subscribed to that
page (or to MathAction as a whole), but a record of the discuss
including your example calculations would be accessible to
everyone via the web. Yes, of course there is the mailing
list archive which is accessible via the web anyway, so perhaps
that is not really an issue.

The volume of discussion here on the Axiom mailing lists is
not really that high, so I wonder if it might not be best to
simply subscribe address@hidden (the MathAction
mail-in email address) to axiom-developer mailing list. Then
postings to the axiom-developer mailing list would automatically
be archived on the [Axiom-developer] page on MathAction. As time
permits we could then "weed" and reorganize it for longer term
reference.