Re: [Axiom-developer] Axiom crashing in Zope-Plone

From: Bob McElrath
Subject: Re: [Axiom-developer] Axiom crashing in Zope-Plone
Date: Sun, 26 Sep 2004 12:48:18 -0700

Bill Page address@hidden wrote:
> Hans,
>
> Do I understand correctly that after re-compiling Axiom that
> you now have a fully operational LatexWiki system under debian
> that can run Axiom? If so, congratulations! I think there are
> a number of other people (including Tim Daly :) who would very
> much like to setup a similar stand alone LatexWiki/Axiom system.

And me!

But we really need to have people setting this up in a chroot jail.  I
have been reading up on this...we need a script to create the jail.

> I promised Tim that I would set something up for this, but I
> have not yet had the time. If you have some time to write up a
> short description of how you did it, I think it would be most
> appreciated.

I would like to distribute axiom support with LatexWiki.  I have tied my
version numbers to ZWiki, and they will release 0.35 on 10/1.  Do you
think we could add this by then?  (or maybe a bit after to ensure 0.35
compatability)

Bill our darcs repos have diverged, your patches no longer apply cleanly
to latexwiki.  I have moved the functions 'runCommand' and 'log' into
util.py so that they can be used by axiom/reduce.  There are a couple
other conflicts too (I improved plone/stylesheet in latexwiki.css).  Why
do you have a font-size +2 in your latexwiki.css?  Will you have time to
merge this in the next week or two?

FYI, I have gotten MathML/LatexWiki working in Plone::

    http://mcelrath.org/Plone/ITeXTest

You will need my zwiki patches to do that::

    http://bob.mcelrath.org/darcs/zwiki

Hopefully I will get those into ZWiki 0.35 but I haven't been able to
get Simon's attention in the last couple of days.  ;)  As a reminder my
latexwiki repo is here::

    http://bob.mcelrath.org/darcs/latexwiki

> Did you download the binary version of Axiom that failed from
> debian unstable? If so, we should be sure to let Camm Maguire
> know since he is the architect of the debian version. What
> version of GCL are you using for the re-compile? What is the
> hardware platform that you are using?

Mine is a debian binary::

    (0)<address@hidden:~> dpkg -l axiom
uppercase=bad)
    ||/ Name              Version           Description

+++-=================-=================-==================================================
    ii  axiom             0.20040831-1      A general purpose computer algebra
system: main bi
    (0)<address@hidden:~> axiom
    Segmentation fault

This is the alpha architecture.

If I understand correctly, GCL is compiled-in?  I do not have gcl itself
installed on this machine.

--
Cheers,
Bob McElrath [Univ. of California at Davis, Department of Physics]

    It is unpatriotic to question the Kleptocracy.