[Axiom-developer] Re: commit policy

From: Stephen Wilson
Subject: [Axiom-developer] Re: commit policy
Date: Fri, 3 Dec 2004 04:21:02 -0500

Tim,

Please find attached the afore mentioned patches.

They together solve two issues related to system commands.

 o  `) f i n' no longer means `)fin'. Required fixing `intloopPrefix?'
    and modifying `intloopReadConsole' in src/interp/int-top.boot.pamphlet

 o  Added some simple argument checking to `handleNoParseCommands' in
    src/interp/i-syscmd.boot.pamphlet. Instead of, for example:

    (1) -> )lisp

       >> System error:
       Unexpected end of #<string-input stream from "">.

    protected-symbol-warn called with (NIL)
    (1) -> )boot

       >> System error:
       The function |boot| is undefined.

    protected-symbol-warn called with (NIL)
    (1) -> )credits 2

       >> System error:
       The function |npcredits| is undefined.

    protected-symbol-warn called with (NIL)

    We now have something a little more consistent:

    (1) -> )lisp
       Your argument list is not valid.
    (1) -> )boot
       Your argument list is not valid.
    (1) -> )credits 2
       Your argument list is not valid.

I know these are small changes, but the system commands might be one
of the first things a new user will learn (they were for me, at
least). First impressions can mean a lot.

If you feel these should not be applied to main, please let me know,
since I'll apply them to axiom--language--1 independently rather than
track a change in main.

Again, any criticism/comments would be appreciated.

Sincerely,
Steve