[Axiom-developer] RE: Running Axiom in Texmacs for Windows (was: [Texmac

From: Page, Bill
Subject: [Axiom-developer] RE: Running Axiom in Texmacs for Windows (was: [Texmacs-dev] Plug ins)
Date: Fri, 3 Dec 2004 07:50:47 -0500

All,

Having produced now for the third time a revision of the
TeXmacs Axiom interface program (the most recent one for
Windows), I have begun to think that we should revisit our
decision of last year not to distribute a version of this
program with Axiom. At the time we all seemed to feel that
it would be better if these interface programs where only
included with the TeXmacs distribution itself.

But despite a year of quite good progress with both
TeXmacs and Axiom, I notice that we still have a serious
problem with TeXmacs inability to fold Axiom's sometimes
rather long LaTeX output. We do have a solution written
many years ago by Robert Sutor in the form a C program
filter. I originally modified the Texmacs-Axiom interface
program to include this filter and the result was that
TeXmacs could then do a very good job of reproducing the
examples in the Axiom book and tutorials. Unfortunately
the developers of TeXmacs decided not to accept this
revised interface program for the TeXmacs distribution.

In the mean time I have also incorporated Sutors's line-
breaker program in the MathAction wiki to solve the same
problem with very long LaTeX lines. It seems to me that this
filter program is working very reliably. Therefore I think
I would like to add the line-breaker code into the newly
revised TeXmacs-Axiom interface program. Do this would make
that new program more than 90% new source code that is only
loosely based on the original TeXmacs version. So I think
it would be well justified to include this program with
our Axiom distributions.

What do other people think?