[Axiom-developer] postscript files from Axiom graphics

From: Bill Page
Subject: [Axiom-developer] postscript files from Axiom graphics
Date: Sun, 5 Dec 2004 00:38:40 -0500

Tim,

After patching the Gfun.c.pamphlet (see previous message)
I can now click the PS button and also use the write function
e.g.

  graph1:=draw(sin(x),x=0..1)
  write(graph1,"graphs","postscript")

The resulting postscript file is named axiom2D.ps in the
directory

  /home/wspage/graphs.VIEW

I can view this with ghostview with no problem except that
it appears in black and white where the graph being displayed
in the view port was in color. (Perhaps I missed some option
to create a color postscript file?)

-----

So now that I have done this interactively, it appears that
writing the postscript is actually done by the view2D program.
view2D does not start if I try to run sman in a console
outside the X-windows environment. And if I start Axiom with
AXIOMsys the Axiom commands above fail with the message
"viewport already closed". (It was never opened.) So for use
in MathAction I am wondering how to generate postscript files
"in batch" and without X-windows present. Can you think of
any way to do this?