Re: [Axiom-developer] system::getenv does not return MSYS environ ment v

From: Camm Maguire
Subject: Re: [Axiom-developer] system::getenv does not return MSYS environ ment variables
Date: 08 Dec 2004 10:16:07 -0500

Greetings!

"Page, Bill" <address@hidden> writes:

> I also looked at the GCL code for getenv in main.c and I
> noticed a scary section involving a call to free on the
> pointer returned by the system getenv call. I imagine that
> would really mess up Windows memory - but as far as I can
> tell that option is not used during the Windows build.
> Right?

Some thoughts on memory management in this context:

1) The free of the getenv pointer is not ifdef'ed in on any current
   platform.  On some older systems the string was allocated via
   malloc in libc.

2) malloc/free are redirected in gcl to natively supplied heap
   allocation functions.  All pointers are between DBEGIN and
   core_end.

3) If memory serves, Windows, like macosx, emulates sbrk.  Perhaps
   Mike can fill in the details as to the mechanics whereby the heap
   is expanded here.

4) If one suspects overwriting the environment, it would be useful for
   one to compile a debugging gcl, break at siLgetenv, make a test
   call to (si::getenv...) and look at the address of the pointer
   returned by getenv.  Or in Bill's C program.

5) Bill is doing a terrific job!  As is Mike!

Take care,