Re: [Axiom-developer] Ask Slashdot

From: Bob McElrath
Subject: Re: [Axiom-developer] Ask Slashdot
Date: Tue, 14 Dec 2004 19:44:35 -0800

Page, Bill wrote:

| On Tuesday, December 14, 2004 12:33 PM C Y wrote:
|> --- Eugene Surowitz <address@hidden> wrote:
|>> Actually the real problem here is the advertising leverage that
|>>  query and the uncritical nature of the response give to
|>> Mathematica. How could such queries be spotted and more
|>> appropriate pointer responses to math sites be generated?
| Basically I think it is a lost cause. These people aren't listening
|  - they are talking.

One should not underestimate the importance of advertising.  For every
person who posts on a site like slashdot, there are at least 50 people
just reading the comments, and at least some of those don't want to
hear "maple or mathematica" because they've already tried them (e.g.
me, a year ago).  While I don't think we should coordinate an
organized effort to find "ask slashdot" type websites, we should make
sure Axiom is available to those who go looking for it.  Attracting
users and potential developers is critically important to the survival
of an open source application.

The attitude that "let's make it great first, then tell people" is
guaranteed to prevent the project from attracting developers.

Someone should update the freshmeat page too:

- -- Bob

Version: GnuPG v1.2.4 (GNU/Linux)
Comment: Using GnuPG with Thunderbird -