RE: [Gcl-devel] Re: [Axiom-developer] Minor bugs

From: Page, Bill
Subject: RE: [Gcl-devel] Re: [Axiom-developer] Minor bugs
Date: Thu, 16 Dec 2004 10:27:33 -0500

Camm, Tim,

I don't think these rounding and truncation problems are
a lisp issue as such. They are a result of an assumption
in Axiom about the behavour of the shift operation on
signed integers which is not compatible with the current
lisp standard. Basically Axiom expects an unsigned shift
function but the standard lisp function call is extending
the sign arithmetically instead of "logically". Details are
on Savannah bug and patch lists. There is some discussion
of the efficiency of the proposed patch in the axiom-
developer email list archive of a little more than a year
ago.

The patch I submitted (but haven't yet found time to move
to the axiom--main--1 archive, provides the logical shift
by check the sign and changing things accordingly. This is
check is pretty fast, but it occurs at such a deep level
that even a little inefficiency could affect computationally
intensive programs. In the medium/long term it would be more
efficient to directly map many of the numerical functions in
float.spad (and a few other places) to their high level
equivalents in lisp.