RE: [Axiom-developer] RE: windows/linux coherency

From: Page, Bill
Subject: RE: [Axiom-developer] RE: windows/linux coherency
Date: Tue, 21 Dec 2004 09:15:57 -0500

On Tuesday, December 21, 2004 8:30 AM Andrey G. Grozin wrote:

> > Do you have any installer programs for Linux that you
> > would recommend.
>
> We should have an rpm package. Best of all if it would
> install on many distributions - RedHat, SUSE, Mandrake.

Do you know how to create an rpm that works on all three
"rpm-style" distributions? Or do you know a good "how-to"
document? Would you be willing to help me prepare such an
rpm for Axiom on Linux?

> A deb package for Debian and an .ebuild for Gentoo would
> be also useful.

Oh ya, 3 different installer systems for 5 different
"linux" systems - that's progress. ;)

Debian we already have - Thanks to Camm Maguire.

Fedora has some variant of apt-get doesn't it? I don't
suppose a Debian/Fedora package is possible though, eh?

> As a Linux sysadmin, I'd at no circumstances install
> something using some funny "installer" on my rpm-based
> system, or on Debian, or Gentoo.

Maybe that's why there are so few linux systems running
Maple and such programs ... :?) I understand your
reluctance but as long as the installer is open source
and widely used, I don't see any real problem - except
of course that as far as I have been able to determine
there are no such installer programs yet.