Re: [Axiom-developer] Issue tracker: Language selection

From: root
Subject: Re: [Axiom-developer] Issue tracker: Language selection
Date: Sun, 9 Jan 2005 11:51:13 -0500

Vladimir,

Sorry to hear about your living conditions. Perhaps you might look
at the Axiom Foundation information.

There is an effort, called CATS (Computer Algebra Test Suite), which
contains a collection of the test cases from several computer algebra
systems. Current testing methods in this field amount to collecting a
few working examples and running these examples as regression tests to
ensure that nothing breaks.

In numerical math there is a NIST (National Institute of Standards and
Technology) standard classification of the various numerical methods.
No such classification exists for symbolic mathematics.

If we bring these two ideas together then the goal of CATS is to
develop a classification system for symbolic mathematics. Under
each classification is an explanation of the mathematics and a
suite of test cases for each participating computer algebra system.
CATS uses a literate program to combine the mathematics with the
executable code so the examples can serve as a testing suite.

I have the beginnings of this effort (a collection of the test suites
from various computer algebra systems and a weak attempt at a
classification hierarchy) already in place. It was posted on a
previous arch server. I have not reposted it because no-one but me
has shown interest.

Since you're interested in the issue of testing and quality control
you might find CATS of interest. If I get some time in the near future
I'll try to collect the various parts and post them again. If you're
interested you can follow the instructions on arch.axiom-developer.org
to get write access.