Re: [Axiom-developer] Re: hyperdoc

From: root
Subject: Re: [Axiom-developer] Re: hyperdoc
Date: Fri, 14 Jan 2005 13:06:33 -0500

> > root writes:
> >  > The longer term goal is either to merge it with the mathaction wiki code
> >  > (assuming we can make that run on a users machine),
> > OK.
> >  > merge it into TeXmacs
> > NO NO NO, only if it runs without TeXmacs. I don't want to switch between
> > emacs
> > and TeXmacs. NEVER!
> Interesting. My feelings are exactly opposite. I very much dislike the
> idea that, in order to do computer algebra, I have to run an http server,
> a browser, a wiki and what else. I have 128M of memory; I want to use them
> to solve my problem, and don't want to waste them. Also, I dislike all
> browser-based interfaces.
> On the other hand, hyperdoc definitely looks too old-fashioned. It should
> be (at some moment in the future) replaced by a nice program capable of
> showing non-trivial mathematics. Are there such programs? Yes, TeXmacs!! I
> don't think anything can beat it in the quality of math formulas. Why
> re-invent the wheel? TeXmacs seems the best choice available.

ah, i see the redesign effort for hyperdoc will be SO smooth and
peaceful :-)

At the moment hyperdoc provides some unique functionality which
would need to be preserved in the new design. I don't currently
use TeXmacs but then I don't use any tools except emacs.

Whatever we choose, after much debate, I think we need to keep the
30 year horizon in mind. Hyperdoc, after 30 years, looks primitive
but it does do hyperlinking, embedded commands, embedded graphics,
tear-off tabs, etc. All of that had to be invented because it did
not exist at the time. We need to invent the future technology based
on our estimate of what will be useful 30 years from now. On this
point I expect and encourage much debate.