RE: [Axiom-developer] RE: algebra Makefiles with explicit depende ncies,

From: Page, Bill
Subject: RE: [Axiom-developer] RE: algebra Makefiles with explicit depende ncies, bootstrap, fixed-points etc.
Date: Mon, 17 Jan 2005 21:09:12 -0500

Steve,

On Monday, January 17, 2005 8:52 PM you wrote:
> I have just confirmed that the interpsys images used during
> the first-iteration and second-iteration fixedPoint build are
> different.

You are right! Something in the current Makefile causes interpsys
to be re-built even though the only thing that has changed is
the *.NRLIB's. I noticed this but it did not occur to me that
re-building interpsys would have any effect. I thought that this
was just an inefficiency in the Makefile dependencies.

> I cooked up a representative spad file which does trigger the
> variations in generated code as we have been seeing.
>
> Perhaps we should modify the makefiles to guarantee a `canonical'
> axiom image.

I will look more closely at the Makefile to see if I can tell
why interpsys is being rebuilt.

> At this point, I am confident that with updated bootstrap code,
> and a constant axiom image, we will get arrive at a fixed point
> after a single pass.

I wonder if both are necessary or is it only the change in
interpsys?