RE: [Axiom-developer] Graphics and Axiom (was Re: touchgraph, hypertex,

From: Bill Page
Subject: RE: [Axiom-developer] Graphics and Axiom (was Re: touchgraph, hypertex, hypergraph)
Date: Thu, 20 Jan 2005 12:01:25 -0500

On Thursday, January 20, 2005 9:56 AM C Y wrote:
> Just curious - are long term graphics discussions planned as
> part of the Axiom conference, or is that too far down the road
> as yet?

I think the proposed "spring" before the main Axiom meeting in
April would be great time to discuss Axiom graphics and even
to demonstrate some things and experiment with others.

> Tim Daly wrote:
> > c) Axiom's graphics need to be able to handle more general types
> >    of graphs like Cayley graphs or Thompson graphs of a group.
> >    We'd like to be able to do this for our encryption research at
> >    CAISS.
>
> One type of program I've wondered about is Pigale
> http://pigale.sf.net
> I'm not up on the theory of what it's trying to do, but it has
> always impressed me as an interesting program.  There was some talk
> a while back about adding some abilities into Maxima to work with
> it, but nothing came of it at that time.  I wonder if Axiom would
> be a good match for it.

Another excellent reference! Thanks. Man, we have so much wonderful
open source software available now and so little TIME ... :O) I don't
see that there is any other option than to find ways to integrate many
of these tools into an environment what makes them easier to use and
reduces the amount one needs to learn just to get started. Providing
a web interface like MathAction has to Axiom is one possible way.