[Axiom-developer] RE: address@hidden

From: Page, Bill
Subject: [Axiom-developer] RE: address@hidden
Date: Tue, 25 Jan 2005 09:08:23 -0500

On Tuesday, January 25, 2005 12:45 AM Tim Daly wrote:

> Nice job on address@hidden This is a win.

Not really my job, this is a function already built-in to
ZWiki. All that is required is to set it up as per
instructions. (Ok, that did require just a little reading
between the lines. :)

> I think we need to write a shell script for the axiom
> system which will automatically collect the version,
> timestamp, and opsys information and pre-populate a
> mail message.
>
> This will make it possible for a user to send a bug
> report with a minimum of fuss.

Well I am not so sure about a shell script to pre-populate
a mail message. Maybe it would be ok for some linux users,
but the concept is not very portable. There is a wide
variety of mail clients out there and then there is Windows
too. I think it would be hard to write a script that works
for everyone. And there is a lot of variability in email
server programs as well plus email security/anti-spam
issues to worry about.

How about a script to pre-populating a web form? The action
of the web form could be to submit a report directly to
IssueTracker. I hope that wouldn't be viewed as too much of
an assumption by users who normally use only email.

> In fact, if we do it right we might be able to cause
> GCL to start tracing a bug as soon as it throws an
> error. If we do that then the user has mostly automated
> bug reporting.

That reminds me to ask: What is the origin of the message

   protected-symbol-warn called with (NIL)

that appears on every error output from Axiom? This looks
like some kind of lisp error to me. Is this supposed to be
there?