Re: [Axiom-developer] Manuel Bronstein

From: Clifton Williamson
Subject: Re: [Axiom-developer] Manuel Bronstein
Date: Fri, 10 Jun 2005 11:11:45 -0700 (PDT)

Manuel was my office mate when I worked on Axiom (then
Scratchpad) at IBM Watson labs and I later worked with
him at ETH Zurich.  Manuel was a world expert in
symbolic integration and extended many of the
techniques of that field to the problem of finding
closed form solutions to differential equations.  His
death is a great loss for the computer algebra
community in general, and for the Axiom/Aldor
communtity in particular.

For those of us who knew Manuel, we have lost a great
human being and a wonderful friend.  He had a great
sense of humor.  I will never forget his practical
jokes, having been a victim of his jokes on more than
one occasion!  He has left me fond memories of ski
trips (in Connecticut, of all places), hikes, and
flying single engine planes in the Alps.  Manuel truly
will be missed.  My heart goes out to Karola and the
kids.

Clifton