[Axiom-developer] Re: axiomui graphics

From: Kai Kaminski
Subject: [Axiom-developer] Re: axiomui graphics
Date: Thu, 01 Sep 2005 21:59:41 +0200

Hi Martin,

thanks for your patience.

> thanks for the update. I tried it and it works. However, the quality of the
> graphics is not -- well, not as good as I would have expected. It rather looks
> like ascii art. Did I do something wrong?
The plots need some improvements, but I don't think that they look
like ASCII art, so presumably something's going wrong.

To find out what it is, please visit kaikaminski.gmxhome.de and look
at the files 1.png, 2.png and 3.png. They correspond to the three plot
commands from the README. If your output doesn't look like this,
something is wrong.

The files 1.svg, 2.svg and 3.svg contain the SVG output from AxiomUI
that is used to display the plots in your browser window. They were
also used to generate the three PNG files with ImageMagick (convert
foo.svg foo.png). Please download them and load them from your
harddisk in your browser (loading them directly off my web site might
not work, because my provider is too stupid to send the correct
content type). If they don't display correctly then there is probably
a problem with your browser's SVG support. All three files are valid
SVG 1.1 according to the W3C validator and ImageMagick, Safari and
Firefox (Deer Park 2 for Linux) display them correctly.

I seem to remember that you're using Konqueror. The version of
Konqueror that is installed on my Linux box (3.4) does not display
them correctly. In fact it only displays a few ASCII letters, some of
which seem to be from the plot title. Is that what you see?

There seems to be an SVG project for Konqueror, but I don't know if
that is already integrated into Konqueror and how well it works. Maybe
upgrading Konqueror helps, maybe it doesn't.

Thanks,
Kai