Re: [Axiom-developer] Unit package proposals and questions

From: William Sit
Subject: Re: [Axiom-developer] Unit package proposals and questions
Date: Fri, 09 Sep 2005 09:48:33 -0400

C Y wrote:

> Oh, while I remember - would it workable to adopt the following
> notation for reduced dimensions?
>
> Say we have a dimension Force, and when we reduce it we have
> Mass*Length/Time^2  (I'd use the work example but I'm running late.)
> Say we want those to be reduced dimensions - can we use this notation
> or are Axiom's output forms not that flexible:
>
> Mass[r]*Length[r]/Time[r]^2
>
> I don't know how we want to denote this on units - my thinking at the
> moment is that reduced dimensions don't have reduced units, but that's
> just off the cuff.

No [IMHO]. This adds something unconventional and complicates things. There
should be no difference in the output form. It should be quite obvious that a
dimension or unit output is reduced or not. Plus, there are dimensions whose
reduced dimension is identical to the dimension. The user can also explicitly
ask for a reduced dimension through functions such as reduce(identifier).
Reduced dimension can have reduced units (why not)?

William