[Axiom-developer] [Axiom Language] Embedding Axiom categories in Axiom d

From: Bill Page
Subject: [Axiom-developer] [Axiom Language] Embedding Axiom categories in Axiom domains.
Date: Wed, 28 Sep 2005 21:50:32 -0500

Changes http://wiki.axiom-developer.org/AxiomLanguage/diff
--
In light of the above definitions of 'Type' in Axiom, it
would seem that the type of
\begin{axiom}
I:=Integer
\end{axiom}

which Axiom prints as 'Domain' is actually a 'Category'.
That certainly is confusing terminology... I guess we just
have to remember that whenever we see 'Type: Domain' what
Axiom really means is 'Type: SomeCategory(...)'.

Issue report #209 however shows that *perhaps* it would be
useful to **flatten** Axiom's two-level object model of
categories and domains by embedding Categories into the
domain called Domain. This would allow convenient things
like evaluating the expression::

  (Integer,Float)

as type Tuple(Domain).

As #209 reports, Axiom internally generates a call to the
function '|Domain|' and then fails with an undefined. That
seems peculiarly broken to me and I wonder if the last
commercial version of Axiom has this same behaviour or was
something lost in the porting to the open source gcl-based
version? I thorough search of the current Axiom sources did
not turn up any function, package or domain named 'Domain'.
--
forwarded from http://wiki.axiom-developer.org/address@hidden