[Axiom-developer] [#210 Pamphlet support on MathAction] [#210 Pamphlet s

From: C Y
Subject: [Axiom-developer] [#210 Pamphlet support on MathAction] [#210 Pamphlet support on MathAction] Math on the web
Date: Fri, 07 Oct 2005 14:15:32 -0500

Changes
http://page.axiom-developer.org/zope/mathaction/210PamphletSupportOnMathAction/diff
--
--- Bill Page <address@hidden> wrote:

> That's odd. It worked "right out of the box" for me using
> Konquorer on Fedora Core 3. Even the embed PDF looks nice
> with properly aliased fonts. I didn't have to touch a thing.
> It doesn't seem like "bypassing the web" to me, although
> using a proprietary format like PDF is admittedly not very
> compatible with the open source philosphy.

I must be misunderstanding something - AFAIK pdf isn't proprietary.
It's fully documented, and there is no restriction on creating either
viewers or generaters for it.  In what sense it is more or less
proprietary than postscript or dvi or mathml?

Now the open source viewers might not quite be up to the Acrobat Reader
standard in rendering quality, but to the best of my knowledge that
isn't because pdf is proprietary.  (BTY, I recommend the recent
releases of kpdf - it is getting quite good.)

Cheers,
CY

http://mail.yahoo.com

--