[Axiom-developer] [#220 'StepThrough' is braindead] (nouveau)

From: kratt6
Subject: [Axiom-developer] [#220 'StepThrough' is braindead] (nouveau)
Date: Sun, 16 Oct 2005 04:30:11 -0500

Changes
http://page.axiom-developer.org/zope/mathaction/220StepThroughIsBraindead/diff
--
The 'StepThrough' category provides a function 'init()' which yields an initial
element of the domain and a function 'nextItem(n)' which produces the element
after 'n', or '"failed"' if there is no such element.

This sounds quite like an implementation of countable sets. But unfortunately,
it isn't. The documentation says, that it is not required that all elements of
the domain are eventually produced.

This given, *any* domain could belong to 'STEP'. Inspecting the domains in
Axiom we find however, that (nearly) exactly those domains that contain a
countable number of elements have 'STEP', while, for example 'EXPR' and 'Float'
don't.

I would argue that this should be changed and I will provide an implementation
shortly. There is little danger of breaking anything, since 'STEP' is only used
at two different places, namely in 'GENPGCD' and in 'PFBRU'.

Martin
--
forwarded from http://page.axiom-developer.org/zope/mathaction/address@hidden