RE: [Axiom-developer] documentation

From: Page, Bill
Subject: RE: [Axiom-developer] documentation
Date: Wed, 26 Oct 2005 07:46:51 -0400

On Tuesday, October 25, 2005 10:38 PM C Y wrote:

> --- root <address@hidden> wrote:
>

> > the latest idea i've seen in documentation is movies.
> > we need to figure out how to make a movie that shows how to
> > start up an axiom session, perform a computation, and shut
> > it down.
>
> There is a flash demo of SLIME made using vnc here (which I can't
> play on my work computer so I have no idea if it's any good):
> http://www.unixuser.org/~euske/vnc2swf/slime.html

Works real nice for me on windows with both FireFox 1.0.7 with
Flash plug-in installed and Internet Explorer 6 with active X
enabled.

> I've never tried the software used for this
> (http://www.unixuser.org/~euske/vnc2swf/ and
> http://www.unixuser.org/~euske/vnc2swf/edit_vnc2swf.html) so
> I can't comment on it.

I think it works very well. It works on both Windows and Linux.
Here is my first attempt at a movie that shows how to edit a
pamphlet file on MathAction.

http://page.axiom-developer.org/pamphlet-2.html

It is also possible to do this with sound, but I didn't have
the necessary hardware last night.

> Apparently there also exists the program wink
> (http://www.debugmode.com/wink/) which is a free download but
> not open source.

This one is pretty neat too - also works on both Windows and
Linux. Here is a movie made with wink that includes some
annotations added to some of the frames.

http://page.axiom-developer.org/pamphlet-1.html

vnc2swf is harder to setup but it seems a little faster and
smoother than wink, at least on my hardware (1GHz, 512Mb.)
In general I think that if you are going to do video, that
faster the machine you use, the better.