Re: [Axiom-developer] Terms of Surrender (was: BAD tim)

From: root
Subject: Re: [Axiom-developer] Terms of Surrender (was: BAD tim)
Date: Fri, 4 Nov 2005 08:16:10 -0500

> I think it would be really cool to port Axiom from 'noweb' to a TeXmacs
> based literate programming system of some kind.  There is at least one
> person on the TeXmacs users and/or development mailing list who has
> mentioned this idea in the past.  Since TeXmacs keeps the document in a
> tree form, it makes me ponder... what if an Axiom language, a descendant
> of Spad or Aldor, was written especially for the TeXmacs environment,
> utilizing a tree-form that encapsulates the semantics, not just the
> appearance as type-set, of an expression --- something like the two
> forms of MathML --- was created?  It could be semi-graphical, using an
> evolved mathematical notation[1] maybe with some lines and arrows...
> circles and arrows and an explanation on the back of each one.

if you start axiom and type

   )trace (|pf2Sex|)

and then type some expression

you'll see the input and output of this function. This function
(parsed function to s-expression) is internal to the axiom interpreter.
it takes the parsed input line and converts it to a lisp s-expression.
so the above '1' input yields

 1> (|pf2Sex| ((|Integer| (|posn (0 "1" 1 1 "strings") . 0)) . "1"))
 1< (|pf2Sex| 1)

the "1>" line tells you the function input.
the "1<" line tells you the function output.

notice that even a simple input line generates type information.

this function is not part of the exposed user interface because
there is nothing at the user level that needs this information.