[Axiom-developer] [#227 'random()$Integer' is a strange function]

From: kratt6
Subject: [Axiom-developer] [#227 'random()$Integer' is a strange function]
Date: Mon, 14 Nov 2005 09:46:33 -0600

Changes http://wiki.axiom-developer.org/227RandomIntegerIsAStrangeFunction/diff
--
Using browse I found that 'random()' is implemented only for three types:

 - 'QuotientFieldCategory' if has 'IntegerNumberSystem'

 - 'IntegerNumberSystem'

 - 'Finite'

I think the first two should go away, since, mathematically they make no sense.
'random()' is not implemented for 'Float'. In fact, I could not find a single
affected operation! If you find one, could you please post it here? Caution:
there are some domains, for example 'FSAGG' that use 'random()\$Integer', but
only in the finite case. In fact, it appears to me that their use is
mathematically wrong and should be replaced by 'random(n)\$Integer'.

Martin
--
forwarded from http://wiki.axiom-developer.org/address@hidden