RE: [Axiom-developer] Website down?

From: Bill Page
Subject: RE: [Axiom-developer] Website down?
Date: Mon, 28 Nov 2005 13:22:14 -0500

On November 28, 2005 12:05 PM C Y asked:

> Anybody else getting a HTTP 500 - Internal server error?

It's working for me right now. I have not re-set and or changed
anything since last night (about 10:00 pm Eastern Time. I have
noticed that occassionally I get very poor response times (20 or
30 seconds per page). I am beginning to think that there might be
intermittent problems at the ISP where we run axiom-developer.org.

The other possibility is that the once in a while the access rates
to the server exceeds it's capacity to respond in time. This
could especially be the case for Zope application server which
is known to require significant system resourses compared to more
conventional web server software. There are some things that can
sometimes be done to "tune" Zope performance and I will look into
that some more later today.

The web site runs on a shared virtual server and I suppose that
it is possible that other users of the same server have recently
begun to use more system resources than we are used to seeing.
On the other hand, the process status shows that this system now
spends a lot of time waiting for disk access. I don't think that
used to be the case. So I don't really know what is going on.

I don't really trust shared servers very much and if "we" could
afford it, I think it would be much better if we could run the
web site on a dedicated server. But that would probably cost at
least twice as much per month. I wrote "we" in quotes because in
fact Tim Daly (root) is still paying 100% of the cost of operating
this server from his own financial resources. I really wish that
we (no quotes this time) could do something about sharing this
cost and upgrading the service.

Please let me know if you are still having problems accessing

http://wiki.axiom-developer.org