[Axiom-developer] Re: Axiom Wiki FrontPage re-design

From: Ralf Hemmecke
Subject: [Axiom-developer] Re: Axiom Wiki FrontPage re-design
Date: Tue, 29 Nov 2005 00:41:26 +0100

On Friday, November 25, 2005 4:51 AM Ralf Hemmecke wrote:
... I don't think that it is actually the amount of text which is a problem, it is rather its organisation.

I agree partially. You are probably right that the amount is less of a problem
than it's organisation.

Exactly. If there is a bug somewhere, it is probably better if you have as much information as possible (which is hopefully not out of sync).

I agree that the MathAction link is not important to new Axiom users. I hope
this alternate page layout makes this more clear.

WHAT? Do I parse this sentence correctly?

I am *absolutely* certain that MathAction is of utmost important to new Axiom
users. All of the documentation can be found there, examples how to use it
(SandBox), bugs that show Axioms deficiencies...

Hmmm, being new to Axiom, the first thing I would want is a Guided Tour (10 min). If I am still interested, a little more detailed tour. Only after that I am knowledgable enough to navigate through MathAction, ie, I am not longer (completely) "new".

Again: I think that our aim should be to make MathAction be the *only* entry
point to the Axiom world. To reach this aim, one of the first steps -- a huge
step though -- would be to make the pamphlet files and the book browsable. Here
goes a big THANK YOU to Bill for providing the sources of Axiom on MathAction!

Call me old-fashioned, but in order to edit pamphlet files, I would get the arch-sources and do something locally and then submit. Only for small changes the web-access to the sources makes sense to me. Anyway, it is not quite clear to me how modifications to the sources made over the web will eventually find their way into axiom--main. Will Tim incorporate them by hand? I guess the ChangeSet idea becomes a bit blurred here.

What remains is an expert on tex4ht. Reminder: Eitan promised to have a look
how to make jsmath a backend for tex4ht this winter break. Ideally, we (well,
sorry, not me) would have some experience with translating the tex code
produced by "ALLPROSE" or "document" into mathml / html with tex4ht.

I'll look into tex4ht. I first have to understand how it works.

Another step is to transform the pamphlet files into the ALLPROSE format --
and, if necessary, extend ALLPROSE so that it can handle Axiom. Ralf, am I
correct that this is not really necessary?

Oh, wait a minute. ALLPROSE is for writing Aldor libraries. And I somehow tend to keep it that way. For example, ALLPROSE contains aldordoc.sty, which is certainly of no interest to the LISP parts of Axiom.

However, I can extract certain features that are of general interest for the whole of the Axiom documentation. I'd be happy to help Axiom here. But I will certainly not touch the semantics of building the Axiom executable.

Ralf