Re: [Axiom-developer] breqn

From: Jay Belanger
Subject: Re: [Axiom-developer] breqn
Date: Wed, 30 Nov 2005 15:41:08 -0600

C Y <address@hidden> writes:
>> It [breqn] can't be perfect, but it does seem to work pretty well in
>> most cases.  I haven't heard of anyone working on it since
>> Michael Downes; too bad.
>
> I don't think anyone wants to work on it until the license is cleared
> up, even assuming we've got people both interested and that skilled in
> TeX.

I was hoping someone at AMS would do some more work on it.

> If need be presumably we can implement the ideas in our own
> axiom.breakequations.sty file, but that will be very, very
> nontrivial :-/.

I suspect if we pushed the AMS hard enough, we could get breqn under a
fairly liberal license.

>> > I hope Axiom will be able to build off of the general ideas
>> > there to make an Axiom specific EAxiom environment someday
>> > (clearly pamphlet files add an extra dimension, and the IO
>> > issues involved are also a bit tricky).
>>
>> I said I'd have some sort of EAxiom to send you a while ago;
>> obviously I don't.  Sorry!
>
> No worries - I'm rather behind myself.  I'm still writing the text for
> the unit package, and have a ways to go even on that. (Arrrrgh.
> Must... finish... units... and... move... on... to errors...)

Speaking of non-trivialities, I didn't realize how much was involved
in researching a units package until I saw what you had done.  Nice
job so far!

Jay