Re: [Axiom-developer] breqn

From: C Y
Subject: Re: [Axiom-developer] breqn
Date: Wed, 30 Nov 2005 14:10:48 -0800 (PST)

--- Jay Belanger <address@hidden> wrote:

> C Y <address@hidden> writes:
> >> It [breqn] can't be perfect, but it does seem to work
> >> pretty well in most cases.  I haven't heard of anyone
> >> working on it since Michael Downes; too bad.
> >
> > I don't think anyone wants to work on it until the license
> > is cleared up, even assuming we've got people both
> > interested and that skilled in TeX.
>
> I was hoping someone at AMS would do some more work on it.

That's a point.  I wonder if it was an official project?

> > If need be presumably we can implement the ideas in our own
> > axiom.breakequations.sty file, but that will be very, very
> > nontrivial :-/.
>
> I suspect if we pushed the AMS hard enough, we could get
> breqn under a fairly liberal license.

Sounds like a plan.  Anybody know anyone in AMS to contact about the
issue?

> > No worries - I'm rather behind myself.  I'm still writing
> > the text for the unit package, and have a ways to go even
> > on that. (Arrrrgh. Must... finish... units... and...
> > move... on... to errors...)
>
> Speaking of non-trivialities, I didn't realize how much was
> involved in researching a units package until I saw what you
> had done.  Nice job so far!

Thanks!  Hopefully I'm on the right track.  I think once I've gotten
the rest of the dimensional analysis algorithm written up I might be
able to start looking at actual code along with the text.  Reviewing
the other packages out there is probably going to be a bit of an
ongoing thing, although I will try and write a piece about the Maple
package RSN.  And I also want to give the sistyle package a try - if
that's as useful as I'm hoping it is I would like to expand Axiom's tex
abilities to output sistyle formatting for units.

Heh - actually, that raises another point.  How should packages deal
with subject specific LaTeX?  Say, for example, that I want to use a
chemical formula style file for a chemical equations package, just like
I want to use sistyle for units.  How do I teach Axiom's TeX routines
new tricks?  Domain specific tex output?

Cheers,
CY

http://mail.yahoo.com