[Axiom-developer] [#263 ContinuedFraction returns incorrect types] Re: F

From: kratt6
Subject: [Axiom-developer] [#263 ContinuedFraction returns incorrect types] Re: Fraction R returns R when R is a field
Date: Mon, 06 Feb 2006 08:01:15 -0600

Changes
http://wiki.axiom-developer.org/263ContinuedFractionReturnsIncorrectTypes/diff
--
Thinking about it, I realized that this is not the proper solution, since
'Fraction R' provides some operations, for example 'denominator' which 'R' does
not necessarily have and I think it would be wrong to equip every 'Field' with
this operation, which would then be necessary. Thus, either

-  Axiom's interpreter should not complain about types like 'Fraction Float'.
In this case, 'denominator' will always return '1', of course. Note that you
can perfectly well calculate with objects of type 'Stream Fraction Fraction
Integer', no problem occurs. Or

- operations that want to return Fraction R have to check whether R is a field.

The code that excludes constructions like 'FRAC FRAC' and 'FRAC R' when 'R' is
a field is in 'clammed.boot.pamphlet', lines 108-112.

Possibly we want to allow 'Fraction Field' but disallow 'Fraction Fraction'?

Martin
--
forwarded from http://wiki.axiom-developer.org/address@hidden