Re: [Axiom-developer] axiom did not compile on sparc solaris

From: Gabriel Dos Reis
Subject: Re: [Axiom-developer] axiom did not compile on sparc solaris
Date: 15 Feb 2006 06:14:32 +0100

"Page, Bill" <address@hidden> writes:

| On Tuesday, February 14, 2006 7:05 AM Gianluca Gregori wrote:
| >
| > I am trying to compile axiom on a sparc solaris machine but
| > having lots of trouble (not to experienced as well).
| > I was able to compile gcl-2.6.7 with the --enable-custreloc
| > option (bfd did not compile). However, still axiom does not
| > compile properly.
| > Any help is appreciated. --Thanks, Gianluca
| >

| What release of Axiom are you trying to build and on
| what version of solaris? Why did you choose to use
| --enable-custreloc?
|
| I am also trying to build Axiom from the September 2005 tarball:
|
| http://axiom.axiom-developer.org/axiom-website/DOWNLOADS/axiom-Sept2005-
| src.tgz
|
| on Solaris 8 sparc (280R dual cpu) system. If I simply follow
| the instructions of:
|
|   ./configure
|
| You must set your AXIOM and PATH variables. Type:
|
| To build the rest of the system type:
|
| export AXIOM=/export/disk0/dmprod/axiom/mnt/solaris9
| export PATH=$AXIOM/bin:$PATH
| make AWK=gawk TAR=gtar PATCH=gpatch

We should aim to mechanize those steps instead of requiring user
intervention.

| The Axiom ./configure uses 'solaris9' even though my system
| is actually Solaris 8. I don't think this a problem.

I haven't looked to configure yet, but if we're going to use configure
at all, then we should use the standard scripts that compute and use
the canonical system triplet.

I no longer have access to sparc or solaris boxes at home.  At work I
do have access to solaris boxes, but any development that require
"unusual" toolsets setting is basically unlikely to happen :-(

-- Gaby