Re: [Axiom-developer] print or output in packages.

From: Martin Rubey
Subject: Re: [Axiom-developer] print or output in packages.
Date: 16 Feb 2006 18:46:29 +0100

Francois Maltey <address@hidden> writes:

> Hello everybody !
>
> I learn a lot with all your mails.
>
> I use to add a lot of spy-print in mysterious functions.
> So I add print or output lines as bellow in a test, but I can't compile.
>
> In an *.input file I have no problem with output.
>
> I try the easiest print, with or without coerce ::, with or without $.
>
>       output ("a string"::OutputForm)$OutputPackage
>       output (1::OutputForm)$OutputPackage
> -- or     print ("num::OutputForm"::OutputForm)$PrintPackage
> --      print ("num::OutputForm")$PrintPackage
> --      output "den::OutPutForm"

the compiler is picky about spaces between command and argument. Try

        output("a string"::OutputForm)$OutputPackage

instead. In some cases, using trace extensively helps to save you some
work. See HyperDoc or

http://wiki.axiom-developer.org/HyperDocTracing

(A hint: if you want to trace local functions, simply move their signatures,
for example

    kerexpand : K -> F

on line 564 of manip.spad

to the set of exported functions, i.e., to line number 551 or so.

Then )tr TRMANIP )ma will catch calls to kerexpand too.

Of course, adding statements like output(bla:OutputForm)$OutputPackage can be
more effective if you already know roughly what should be happening.

Martin